Learn how to extract your ancestor’s information from German church records – without needing to speak German!
If you are researching your German ancestors, it is more likely than not that you will run into church records at some point in your research. For years, it was the German churches – not civil authorities – who meticulously kept track of their members’ births, baptisms, marriages, and deaths. Filled with information such as your ancestor’s name, parents’ names, occupations, dates, relationships, and more, these records are an amazing find for any German genealogist. But there is just one problem – they’re not in English.
In this how-to guide, learn how you can extract the information you need from German church records – without having to decipher every word on the page. Complete with handpicked examples from real German church records, this book teaches you to:
- Locate those valuable church records for your German ancestor
- Take yourself step-by-step through baptismal records, marriage records, death records – in both column and paragraph format – to pick out the details of your ancestor’s life
- Recognize the different spelling variations of your ancestor’s name and hometown
- Understand what church record phrases, symbols, and abbreviations mean and how these can help your genealogy research
- Convert names of commonly-seen feast dates into actual dates of birth, marriage, and death for your ancestor
- Work with the best technological tools and resources to make your genealogy journey easier – and more fun!
Best yet, this book includes the German transcriptions and English translations of multiple sample records – as well as comprehensive German vocabulary lists with handwritten examples of these important genealogy words.
Whether you are just starting out in the field or have worked with church records for years, this book will teach you the must-know methods to unlock the mysteries of your ancestor’s past. Are you ready to get started?